Full details of the programme for Lowick’s Jubilee celebrations will be published next month. In the meantime here is a summary of what is planned:
|Thursday 2nd June||A Fifties Film Night in the Village Hall, featuring a range of classic films from the era.|
|Friday 3rd June||Ceilidh in the Village Hall, with supper and bar|
|Saturday 4th June||Jubilee Fete on the Common, with Street Party|
|Sunday 5th June||Service of Celebration in St John’s Church with a garden party in the Churchyard to follow|
Local groups have already started volunteering to provide stalls and entertainment, and more are being planned.
There will be
- competitions for jubilee themed windows and gardens – expect early details so you can get planning and planting,
- a Queen look-alike competition.
- It is hoped that the school will be involved in the fun and preparations,
- there will be displays of photos and memories from the fifties,
- And various presentations to commemorate the event, and to winners of awards and competitions.
- expect the Jubilee Pudding competition to feature as well!
- a road train will give rides round the village during the Fete
Part of our commemoration will be the restoration of bells in the Church Tower. These have been silent for many years, due to issues with the tower and the condition of the bells following earlier efforts to repair them. It is hoped that one of the original bells will be a working condition to ring out the Jubilee, and that a new peal of four bells can be sourced for later installation.
We also are planning to issue a booklet of Jubilee Walks, featuring heritage trails devised by the Heritage Group, and a new Circuit of Lowick Trail, designed to complete the Beating of the Bounds route already designed by the Church.
Watch this space for more details, and let us know if you want to help.